Exercising when traveling is tough work. Takes a lot of determination to keep up the will to even get out of bed sometimes. And who’s to say any of your traveling companions, that’s if you are lucky to have any, will actually partner in your morning run? Here’s where the HEAT running app comes handy – it turns your fitness routine into a game – with competitors, in real-time!
Downloading the app and registering takes all but a few seconds and you are ready – they currently have options for 400 meter dash, 1 mile, 5k, 10k, 10 mile and a half marathon. "What makes our app different is that we actually allow runners to run together on their phones. Other apps just compare stats. HEAT Running turns running into a game and creates a virtual world where runners of all levels can compete, have fun, and challenge themselves. You will run harder with our app and you will have fun doing it!" says founder Arya Farzin. Your stats include best time, race distances and accomplishment badges. Their slogan is "Unlock Your Animal" so you will start the app as an egg but the more you run, the closer you get to hatching and unlocking your spirit animal! You may be a gazelle, a coyote, or with hard work, a cheetah! Choose any option and you have a ready set of competitors you can invite to accompany you on your heat. While we are at it, below are a few worthwhile running destinations to travel to where your HEAT app is going to be a true friend. And if you need real motivation, check out the fitness story that led the app’s founder to creating it in the first place!
· Paris Half Marathon, France - Flat routes, stunning scenery, and le Francais is why.
· BMO Vancouver Marathon, Canada - Cityscape, ocean, snowcapped mountains and cherry blossoms.
· Volkswagen Prague Marathon, Czech Republic - Amazing architecture, river views and gothic bridges.
· Great Wall Marathon, China - Hot and hilly, and considered one of the world’s toughest.
· Patagonian International Marathon, Chilean Patagonia - Breathtaking mountains, glaciers and wildlife on your route.
· SSE Airtricty Dublin Marathon, Ireland - Irish music and dancing the day before the race, and a hard-earned Guinness afterward maybe.
· Marabana Havana Marathon, Cuba - Wind through narrow streets filled with vintage 1950s cars, past historic buildings and landmarks, and down the famous Malecón esplanade along the coast.
· Air New Zealand Queenstown International Marathon, New Zealand - Snow-capped mountains, brilliant blue lakes and lots of lush greenery.
· Reggae Marathon in Negril, Jamaica - “Come for the run; stay for the fun” is the motto for this island race! Who can resist?
· Napa Valley Marathon - Views of the valley, fruit trees and dormant vineyards flanked with gold-colored mustard flowers. Just you, the road and Wine Country.
· Virgin Money London Marathon - The race route passes the most iconic landmarks of England - get ready for a whirlwind of a history lesson.
· Boston Marathon - As the oldest and most prestigious race in the United States, running in the Boston Marathon is a lifelong goal even for veteran runners.
· Big Five Marathon, South Africa - Race course is through a privately owned game reserve so think varied landscape, up-close views of antelope, giraffes and zebras, and even lion territory.
· Athens Classic Marathon - Run the race where it all started: begin on an ancient battlefield in the town of Marathon. Also the same route as the 2004 Summer Olympics marathon.
· Maui Half Marathon - Perfect for honeymooners. Love all around!
Sharing a few products that I love. Some are affiliate links, some are not, some I was introduced to and some I happened to chance upon. Enjoy!